Friday 27 March 2015

Movie Review: Insurgent



Disclaimer: This movie is a sequel. If you have not seen the previous movie I recommend not reading this review yet. Thanks!

The sequel to Divergent, Insurgent was actually a pretty good movie but I will admit that this has been a harder review for me to write. I chose not to read the books first because I didn’t want the book to try to spoil the movie for me.

The movie starts with a news broadcast by Jeanine, played by Kate Winslet, covering up her role in the deaths of the Abnegation faction. Her soldiers are searching and trashing buildings looking for some mysterious box. We then head over to seeing the Heroes of the story walking through the forest looking for shelter because they are fleeing from Jeanine forces. They arrive at the faction Amity and, as they are taking refuge there, they see some people at the entrance. This group gathers around the divergent and say they don’t belong, especially Tris, played by Shailene Woodley. It turns into a scene of her friend leaning over the body the friend she killed. It turns out this sequence is a dream based on the reality of them being on the run and hiding out combined with Tris’ guilt over the death of her family and friends.

What makes this movie hard for me to review is that the story line almost seems hidden among action scene after action scene. Half the movie is spent focusing on simulations. Now I like action and that is why I say it is pretty good, but I think it can be confusing if you get lost between the reality scenes and the simulation scenes.
The graphics were impressive to me and I think the actors did a good job with the script they were given.

I would rate this move 7.6 out of 10 for great acting especially by Shailene and amazing action and graphics but I feel it had a lack of story.

I would also like to say THANK-YOU!! to all the people who commented and gave me great points to improve my blog. please keep them coming.

*edited thanks to review tips March 29, 2015*

1 comment:

  1. Well Sam. Great job with review number two and thank YOU for taking the suggestions and moving forwards with them.

    That's a really great way to learn - constructive criticism. And you are a good example of really using it well.

    I'm going to encourage you to pay a little more closer attention to grammar, only because it will make your reviews a little clearer.

    You have a good eye for reviewing stories. That's a great gift.

    Clean grammar makes it easier for others to understand us clearly when we write, and makes the gift of writing shine. Doing video reviews doesn't require that effort from us as much, but it is very important when we are writing.

    If you need to, find someone who will copy edit for you and learn from them.

    FYI: even the best and most famous writers have copy editors so it isn't a criticism but an encouragement to keep moving forwards.

    Now as for the movie review itself - I gotta tell you that what I appreciated about your points is that I already wasn't convinced that I wanted to see the movie as I didn't really love the first one. And you just helped me make the decision to not go watch it.

    That might sound bad but part of being a good critic is recognizing that you are helping people make those choices of watching or not watching. And viewers are just as thankful to avoid a movie that they would regret spending money on as they are glad to find hidden gems that they wouldn't have otherwise discovered.

    Keep at it. I look forward to the next one.

    PS. I have worked in the movie industry for a few years and hope you won't mind me giving you these little pointers over the course of your postings - think of it as insider info. And as time goes on, I am going to try to get you some tips and pointers from people that I know in the industry to help you learn and hone your craft. The more you understand the movies and what goes into making them, the more your reviews will reflect that, and people will learn that through you. It is already evident that you love movies and you have a very clever mind. I hope I can provide you with tools to help you build your gift. :)

    ReplyDelete