Tuesday 6 October 2015

Movie Review: The Martian



 
Life alone on a different planet is something I thought of after watching this movie. I live in a house with 7 other people, which makes for a lot of noise and sometimes, being alone would be a nice thing. However, I don't know if I would want to do it without enough supplies to last and other things that are basic. This leads me to my latest movie, The Martian.

The movie starts on Mars, where the crew of the Ares 3 mission is collecting rock samples to bring back to NASA. As they finish up, a giant dust storm moves towards them and NASA informs them that the storm is bigger than they thought. The Ares 3 crew decide to abort the mission when they experience just how powerful the storm actually is. While walking through the dust storm, Mark Watney (played by Matt Damon) gets hit by a satellite dish, disappearing into the storm presumed dead. The rest of the crew reluctantly leave him there on Mars, and after the storm passes, Mark wakes up half buried in the red dirt, slightly impaled by a shard of the antenna.

The story plot is pretty much Mark trying to make supplies on Mars, such as potatoes for food and fixing broken entrance hatches, eventually making it off Mars. You know, just an average day of an everyday ordinary botanist. Except that this botanist is on Mars, is also a famous astronaut and isn't ordinary in any way. However, it was still a good story plot nonetheless.

The acting was some of Matt Damon's best work on screen yet. He really made me feel like I could have been stranded on the planet with him. However, there were some parts in the movie where it was a little non-realistic. More commonly known as goofs, these are parts of a movie where something isn't supposed to be there, or something is done that shouldn't be, or even being able to see the cameraman in a reflection. I usually go to IMDb for my references in case I forget what an actors name is or if I want to go over the synopsis again, or to just read over the goofs that I may have missed.

Overall the story and acting was great, but I could have gone without some of the goofs in the movie. For these reasons I would rate this 8.7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment